Sunday 18 August 2019

On Home Waters - 17th August 2019

Saturday 17th August 2019
Bird in Hand, Stourport, Staffs & Worcs Canal, via the River Severn to Hawford, Droitwich Canal
10 miles, 9 locks

08:00 this morning and the weather forecast said there was 15% chance of rain!

Thankfully it did not last long, but it had to happen after I had already dried all the back deck surfaces!

Once the rain had gone, the sun came out and it was mostly sunny with a deal of wind for our journey today.  It was to be a day when sensible advice given my me was to be totally ignored!

I was walking ahead of the boat to the first lock of the day when I noticed on the other side of the canal all these tanks

It is a fish emporium with an interesting name! It looks as though it is a successful business

As I rounded a bend and went under a bridge there was a boat coming towards me.  I knew Chris was pretty much in the bridge hole, so I told the helmsman that there was a boat about to come through the bridge.  I naturally expected him to stop, or at least slow down, but no!  He carried on with a cheery wave and had to engage reverse rather abruptly!  So first piece of advice ignored.  I had warned Chris that it had not stopped, so he knew what was coming.

Neither of us have noticed this sign before despite the fact it has been there since 1996!  We have tried looking up the post nominal 'RTN' and the closest we have got is 'Rotarian'.  Does anyone know if this is correct and if not, what does it stand for?  The sign was erected by Rotary International, so I would think our guess is correct.

We first came to Stourport in 1974 - our very first boating holiday just a year after we got married. I cannot call it a narrowboat holiday as it was a very odd little craft that was steered from the front.



We think the Hoseasons base was somewhere near where the Starline base in now by the top of the staircase locks.

Was the 1974 holiday a success?  Well not really and I guess it could have put us off for ever.  I am glad it didn't!  We arrived well before the 2pm pick up time to find that our boat had not been returned.  The current hirers, we were told, would be put on a black list - they had to call the engineers out a number of times - once because they had run out of diesel which they had been warned they must not let happen.  The other call outs were all false alarms and totally unnecessary.  They arrived late afternoon and very quick turn around was achieved. Then the base staff saw us down both the staircase locks onto the Severn.  Now bear in mind that we were young (early 20's), had no experience and it was so late that the Severn locks were closed - what were we to do?!  We had no idea!  There were no mooring pontoons on the river at Stourport then. We eventually had to lasso a tree and tie up as best we could.  We must have been able to get off as we had a dog who needed grass.  A very stressful start.  I can't remember much more about it - I think we made it to Evesham and back again in the week, but it is a very vague memory.

No such issues today - we were early enough in the day to enjoy peace and quiet - it was too early for the cacophony of noise that emanates from the fun fair by the locks.  The downside was that it was also too early for any volunteer lock keepers.

I checked below to ensure no one was coming up the first staircase - there wasn't.  The bottom lock was empty, so all I had to do was fill the top lock.  In Chris went and I opened the middle paddles to drop us down.  Then I heard the unmistakable sound of paddles being wound near by.  I peered over the bridge to see people trying to empty the bottom lock so they could enter from the second staircase.  Thankfully they did obey my shouted 'STOP'.  I went down and explained they should have looked at the top lock before doing anything to the bottom lock.  Their boat was almost up in the lower staircase and I advised the crew to advise the helmsman to stay in the lock until we were ready to swap places.  He didn't!  We know from experience that currents abound there and add a brisk wind and you end up all over the place.  They only picked the boat up yesterday, but maybe they will heed advice in the future.

They did eventually sort themselves out and made it safely into the lock after we had left

Down we went preparing to go onto the Severn.  The anchor had been retrieved from the bow locker this morning, the VHF radio had been charged up and all three of us donned our life jackets.  Conditions were normal.

Although only just

We are nearly down

and we are off

heading towards Worcester

We know that the River Severn floods - was this boat 'beached'

No such worries for us today - it was clear, sunny and bright


Just two locks to go through - both were ready for us and all the work is done for you.



Talking on 'no worries' - the moored boat above is nb Knoworrys' who we saw last on the Severn in Aug 2016!  We believe she moors at Lapworth over winter and her Australian crew spend the summers sailing our canal and rivers.  It was a pleasant enough 1.5 hours cruise before we turned off the river onto the Droitwich Canal at Hawford.

Back to our home canal

We had just two big locks to go up before the moorings - would we be lucky and find a spot?

Yes!  Room for two more boats

As Chris waited below the second lock there were two lads on the lock landing fishing - leaving plenty of room for boats needing to use the landing.

Now these locks are big and the gates very heavy.  As I was struggling to open a gate for Chris to exit the two lads were walking past and one put down his fishing gear to lend me a hand for which I was very grateful.  He then asked me if he helped me would I drop the lock as that was the best place to fish.  Not something I would entertain if water was short, but it isn't, so once we had moored I went back with two windlasses.


The lock was emptied and in no time at all the perch began to bite



I hope you had a good day and thank you again for your help.  In the event dropping the lock was not a waste of water as eventually two more boats arrived to come up.  One pulled in behind us and the other continued on, we presume to Droitwich.  It was a hire boat, so I am sure had a schedule to keep to.

I may have only worked 7 locks today, but they were all really hard going.  I was glad to stop and was not impressed when Chris suggested continuing for another 5.25 miles and 6 big locks!  That will wait for tomorrow.

No comments: