Friday 8 May 2020

What should have been - Friday 8th May 2020 VE Day

Friday 8th May 2020


One month on from my last post I just thought I would pop in to let you all know we are alive and kicking and thankfully Covid free.

In our pre lock down days we should have been on day 3 of a Birmingham Canal Navigation Society Explorer Cruise.  Today would have been around a 7 hour cruise from Longwood Boat Club to Walsall Basin.  This evening was planned as 'an independent evening', but allowing for the fact it is VE Day and the weather is so fantastic, I am sure the BBQs would have come out.  That is what should have been and will be again - maybe next year for us.

Chris is one of the vulnerable ones, so we have been nowhere since I last posted.  The daily Monty walks are our only escape, but we are both well and manage to keep busy.  Quizzes seem to come in from all sorts of sources and some have kept us busy for hours.  This week's from 'The Happy Puzzle Company' is particularly hard, but it keeps me quiet!  I have also made quite a number of laundry bags for health care workers.


Family Skype sessions continue twice a week.  We played 'The Logo Game' with them a couple of weeks ago.  I thought we would be rubbish, but we trounced them!  Today we met early (09:00) and Chris' brother and his wife joined us from New Zealand.  I am certainly talking on the phone to people I don't usually call, so something good is coming out of this situation.

We have continued to manage to get Tesco slots and we share some click and collects with our daughter.  There is a local farm shop (we did not know it existed before lock down!) that delivers as does our local butcher/green grocer/deli.  At weekends we treat ourselves to a 'proper pudding'.  Chris did an amazingly good syrup sponge two weeks ago.  Last week's was not a great success and although we ate most of it we won't do it again - the centre was a bit too much like blancmange for me.  That is one of the few things I really dislike.  This weekend I will be making lemon yogurt sponge cake with boozy prunes.  Fingers crossed it is a success.

I continue to make cards and keep busy with my crochet in the evenings.  You would think I had got all our Christmas cards done by now, but sadly no - they have not been started yet.  There are too many tomorrows to do them in!  I am enjoying the streaming of National Theatre productions and tonight we are going to watch the Andrew Lloyd Webber production of 'By Jeeves'.  I have to say that the internet has made this lock down a lot easier to cope with.

We have a lot to be grateful for in our lives.  Everyone in our family is well and those that are working are still in work and being paid.  Our pensions remain the same.  There are so many people in desperate need at present.  I count my blessings every day. 

So stay well and stay safe until the next time I pop in.  I do love my blog catch ups, so please keep them coming!

No comments: