Saturday 26 October 2019

A Rather Damp Droitwich - 26th October 2019

Saturday 26th October 2019
Droitwich Spa

A trip to Waitrose in Droitwich was planned today and what a dull, wet and dismal day it was.  Monty needs a couple of walks a day whatever the weather, so we thought we would kill two birds with one stone.  Chris dropped us off just past the M5 bridge and Monty and I made our way along the main road to where you can join the towpath.  I was wandering along minding my own business when a lady who was walking along beside the main road (there is a good pavement all the way along) alerted me to the fact that I would not get through as the towpath was flooded.  There is often some overflow from the land during times of heavy rain - was this what she was referring to or was it something worse?  Decisions had to be made - carry on and see if I could skirt the wet bits or walk along the main road to town.  I did decide to heed her advice and take the latter route and what a good job I did!

We had intended walking the black route along the canal towpath, but ended up taking the red route along the road where we crossed at the junction and were then able to join the path in Vines Park.
The towpath was flooded between the two blue lines

I had left my phone in the car, so had no means of taking photos, so once Monty and I made it to Waitrose car park, I had left him in the car, joined Chris to finish the shop, we then went back to the park to capture the worst high water we have seen here in the 8 years we have lived in this area.  Monty was only too happy to accompany us!

I don't think anyone will be sitting out on this decking for a while

This is the River Salwarpe at the back of Vines Park - there is usually minimal flow

This is usually a gentle weir

The water at both ends of this lock in Vines Park is often level at both ends - not today though!

Not surprisingly the water is well into the red.  The front of the photo is the canal leading to the lock above.  The back is the River Salwarpe.

 This is the lock landing for the above lock.  The small white blob in the centre of the red circle is the top of a mooring bollard.

This is the towpath from Vines Park all the way to the next lock as in the diagram at the top of the page.  There is no way to know where the canal ends and the towpath starts.  To try and walk it would be utterly fool hardy.  Another day for Monty's longer walk.




No comments: