Tuesday 4 June 2019

Lancaster Canal Part 8 - What a Gem! 3rd June 2019

Monday 3rd June 2019
Garstang to Barton Grange Marina
3.75 miles

What a difference a day makes - we woke to sun!  Admittedly there was a very strong wind - gusts were up to 50kph, but it was not raining!

It was a domestic morning of dog walking and a trip to Sainsburys - the last large store before we go back along the Ribble Link on Thursday and join the rest of the UK canal network.

We were planning on taking a day off, but the sun was out and we decided to move on a few miles as Sue and I really wanted to visit the Farm Shop and Garden Centre at Barton Grange, so we headed off once all the chores were done.

Just outside Garstang is all that remains of Greenhalgh Castle - missed by both Chris and I on the way north.  It was built in 1490 by the Earl of Derby, who placed Richard III's crown on Henry Tudor's head after the victory at Bosworth Field. In the 17th C it was destroyed by the Roundheads during the Civil War, when the Royalists made a final stand there.  Apparently if you ask at the nearby farm you can visit the remains.

I do love these bridges

but this looks just wrong!  Surely that lorry is just way too big?

Look blue sky!

This is between the railway and the M6 - Ken reckons it is for storing salt for the motorway.  Does anyone know if he is right?

A cruise in the dry was appreciated by us all and it was not long before we were moored up on the visitor moorings for the farm shop and garden centre

Serious exploration was required.  The building to the right of the boats above was our first port of call, but it is not, as we expected the Farm shop.  It is a vast entertainment complex.

If you choose to moor here, you will certainly not be bored.  There is crazy golf, a cinema, a restaurant and another that just serves fish (but no takeaways) along with 10 pin bowling

and curling! I have been informed by Sue that there were people curling when she popped in mid evening.

and yes it is real ice!

Now as interesting as that may all be, the real gem for boaters is way over to the right - look for the clock and aim for that.  I promise you it is worth the walk - it sounds further than it is.

This is what you are aiming for - Barton Grange Garden Centre - how clever to make the arch from flower pots.

Outside the main entrance sits this gentleman


This new centre was opened in 2008.  We have a large garden centre near us between Bromsgrove and Droitwich, but it pales into insignificance by comparison with this one.  This is not that much bigger, but the layout and design is just stunning.  It is light, airy and there are things to admire at every turn.

First the Farm Shop - it is a shame we are all going home for a few days at the end of the week as it limited the amount we needed, although a few things have ended up in our freezer.  This is just a small part of it.

Outside the Farm Shop - probably somewhere to avoid with children!

Onwards we went to the garden centre which is divided up into various sections - this is just a display to enjoy as you enter

See what I mean about light and airy

The cafe is huge and served up the best scone I have had in years.  We went back for breakfast the next morning.  A full English with a slice of toast was £5 and well worth paying for.

There are plants as well of course, but I was captivated by all the umbrellas

and even more impressed that they denoted the areas where appropriately coloured flowers could be found







including animal/bird brollies when you enter the pet food and accessories area.

Sue and I were captivated by the 'Miniature World' Display.  It is all behind glass, so I had to try and take as much as I could with the camera peering over the top - hence the slightly odd angles! The detail was amazing.

I had to take this one through the glass, hence the hazy appearance




Round another corner and there is a cook shop with so many things to tempt you to part with your money.  Some I had never seen before and had no idea I might need them!  I did not leave empty handed!  Sue and I spent quite a while chatting to two lovely ladies at the check out.  One was telling us that some of her father's land that ran along Savick Brook was compulsory purchased when the link was created.  She walks her dog along the Brook, so you never know we may even see her on Thursday.


Outside are all sorts of other wonders to admire


As you can probably tell I loved this place!  I wish I lived a bit closer and I could have done with a grandchild in tow as that crazy golf course was very tempting!  Things like that always bring back happy memories of my childhood holidays in Lyme Regis - that and mackerel fishing were the highlights for me.  It was also wonderful to feel warm and see blue skies.

4 comments:

Cut and Rune said...

Hi

We were the boat passing you on the bend today, when I told you I'd been following your blog. It has been helpful, particularly regarding Tarleton to Savick.

We saw this entertainment centre/garden centre as we were passing and it is definitely on our list of stops on the way back.

Possibly see you again, have a good trip back to Tarleton.

me said...

Yes, the dome building is used for storing road salt. There are a number of similar buildings around, I don't know why they are that shape. Graham

Jennie said...

Sorry I missed you when we passed - I was busy doing something domestic inside. Enjoy the Lancaster - we did. I hope the weather improves for all our sakes. We are heading back down the link tomorrow.

Jennie said...

Thank you Graham - it is certainly an unmissable shaped building!