Saturday 1 June 2019

Lancaster Canal part 6 - Heading South - 29th - 31st May 2019

Wednesday 29th May 2019
Carnforth to Rakes Head Bridge No 116
3.75 miles, 1 swing bridge

We woke to a cold wind, but thankfully no rain.  You can always judge the temperature by checking Ken's attire - he is a hardy soul and is often in shirt sleeves when the rest of us have coats on, so for his windproof jacket to be on is an indication that it really was chilly!

It was a very grey day - I am really beginning to miss the blue skies

On through the one swing bridge kindly operated by Sue

 Making the most of what is possibly our last views of the sea

well, mostly beach as the tide was out

I could not resist snapping these again as we passed.  As I did so, a lady's head popped up to ask if I was  taking photos of her garden?  I replied in the affirmative and said how much fun they were and thanked her for brightening up our journey

Two moorings were found at Rakes Bridge - not exactly together, but in the vicinity.  We settled down to what proved to be a very wet afternoon, but at least we were moored and could stay dry.  It was so wet, cold and miserable that Chris lit the stove - well we had washing to dry.  That was our excuse and we were sticking to it!

Thursday 30th May 2019
Rakes Bridge, 116 to Lancaster
4.5 miles

We could not be late today as we had a very important date, but unlike the White Rabbit - we knew roughly where and with whom that date was to be.  A few days ago a mutual friend told us that people (Brian and Em) they are still in contact with, and that we all knew over 40 years ago live near Lancaster.  My email address was passed on to them, contact was made and we were to meet for lunch in Lancaster today.

Just by way of a change we had rain again!  The journey was uneventful - just cold and damp.  I missed these pigeon lofts on the way north - they are extensive, but look as though they are currently unoccupied.


 An agility dog must live here!

The Lune aqueduct cried out for the crew to jump ship again.  There are two boards at the northern end of the aqueduct


Considering it was all built by hand it is not surprising it took five years.

This time I managed to lean over and get a different shot of this aqueduct

It may have been created by hand, but there was no scrimping on detail

This shows just what a grey day it was - again

We found out later that the River Lune runs past the bottom of our friends garden - somewhere along here I think

On the other side there is a large industrial site

Carrs Billington - Agricultural and Rural Supplies

So over we went

We both managed to get moorings near Penny Bridge in Lancaster.  A phone call was made to Brian and in view of the weather (wet, wet, wet) it was agreed we would meet in The Water Witch which was just round the corner from the boats.  Did we recognise each other?  A little tentatively, but yes.  Tables were re-arranged to made one for six of us.  Drinks were bought, eventually food was ordered and we emerged some three hours later (I have to say very little food or drink was consumed - there was too much talking going on!) to convene on nb Cleddau for a cup of tea and the obligatory photos to be taken


I am afraid a hair cut for me is long over due!

Forty years is a lot to catch up on, but we did our best!  We all agreed that we had all joined the grey haired brigade since we last met, but the men decided that the upside for them was that they still had some hair!

Friday 31st May 2019
Lancaster

We woke to guess what - yes rain!  Chris woke with a stinking cold so, it was a bit of a non event day although I was busy throughout.  Monty and I donned waterproofs (yes I made Monty wear his coat to try and keep a bit less mud out of the boat!) and headed off for a walk.  We headed south and came to the lovely green area that was such a surprise so close to a city when we arrived on 22nd May.

As I walked past this morning there was a very odd shape near the water - it looked like a very funny distorted dark log.  I only had my phone, so did not take a photo, but I wish I had.  When we walked back the 'log' had transformed itself into three charming alpacas

Shopping was required, so I headed off into town - it was still wet and miserable.  Sue and I had managed to make hair appointments for 14:30, so we set off together - thankfully the rain had stopped by then.  We emerged some time later both feeling a lot tidier and delighted with our hair cuts.  If anyone is ever in Lancaster and needs a hairdresser then I would certainly recommend JoJo, 84 Penny Street.

Next stop was St Peter's - the Roman Catholic Cathedral which is definitely worth a visit - just not that easy to get far enough away for a good photo.










It is the first Catholic Cathedral I have visited.  In many ways it is similar to Anglican ones, but there are a few differences, for example in this cathedral they have a separate side chapel that is The Baptistery

Then there is the Cathedra or Bishop's chair

It is very grand, but I am not sure who the smaller seat to the side is for - it is also very tall,

however I am afraid the light was such that I was not able to get a good picture, but hopefully this will give you some idea of the grandeur

My knowledge of the Catholic church spans two weddings and a funeral, so I set about looking up the hierarchy.  A lot of what I found was just too detailed and I am afraid that I gave up.

In one corner at the back of the Cathedral is an area dedicated to the memory of those who fought in WWI.

I found this particularly moving

A quiet evening on board and an early night in the hope that Chris is slightly better tomorrow.

No comments: