Friday 4 June 2021

Now that was more like it - 28th May 2021

Friday 28th May 2021
Crafted Boats to Droitwich Spa Marina
3.5 miles, 9 locks

We returned home from Staffordshire on Thursday having had a fantastic time with our friends which included a walk along the Audlem flight, a visit to The 'Secret' Bunker at Hack Green and lunch out in a pub as well as many hours just relaxing and enjoying each others company.

Friday we were up and out early - Chris had pre-positioned the car back at the marina on Thursday evening and our lift arrived promptly at 08:30 to transport us to Crafted Boats.  On our arrival we found Tentatrice in one of the paint tunnels. 

Photos were taken of the packing round the batteries

and we were off with no wind or rain - as I said in the title 'that was more like it!'

Now we did not need it there was plenty of mooring space just above the Astwood locks.

Round the bend and we were all ready to head down the flight of six.  Lo and behold there was a boat just exiting the first lock going down ahead of us!

just after we had started our descent another boat came round the corner which had a 

large very efficient crew and it meant that at every lock I had an assistant on the bottom gates, so no walking round the locks for me today.  Always a bonus.  

With boats coming up as well, it was a social trip, something in the past we possibly all took for granted.  I had managed to chat to the lady on the boat ahead of us at the second lock and asked (as you do) 'where are you heading today?'  Her answer was 'Gloucester as the boat is due back tomorrow'.  I was somewhat alarmed at her reply as I was aware that this was a very long journey to be done in one day - I felt it was probably impossible.  I was right as I discovered when I checked canal planner on our return home -  this is a journey of around 42 miles and 24 locks which includes around 29 miles on the River Severn which was on amber boards (for non boaters this is due to a strong stream after all the rain and means you can proceed with caution, however, I am not sure whether hire boats are supposed to do so).  The canal planner I use suggest you need 16 hours minimum to do this trip.  I advised her to ring the hire boat company before they descended onto the River Severn.  I worried all the way down the flight about how on earth they were going to manage!

It was a busy old day

A young family out enjoying themselves

Lock 18

Not a breath of wind

It was not long before we were down at the bottom lock and I met up again with the lady going to Gloucester.  I wished her luck and a safe journey and that is when she told me she had got it wrong - they were going to Worcester!  A much better option - just another 7 hours or so rather than 15.  I was so glad I found out as it meant I could relax and stop worrying about them.  

Once through those six locks, there is time to put the kettle on and have a cuppa before one arrives at Hanbury Junction where we turned right to head down the three locks at Hanbury. As we approached we could see a VLK busy getting the top lock ready, but we also spotted a boat at the back of the lock landing.  I was walking by this time and could see they were tightly moored up with the engine off, so we proceeded past them.  The VLK told us he had been getting the lock ready for the other boat, but they had decided to have a cuppa!  Their loss, our gain.

Once again with help at all the locks

and a boat coming up 

we were soon down

and at the junction into our marina.

We swiftly moored up and made sure everything was as it should be and we were off to Waitrose for a few bits - as I emerged from the store, the rain came down.  It was a very pleasant and easy trip.  All that remained to be done was to send the photos of the batteries all packed in to the BSS examiner and wait with baited breath to see if he would pass us this time.

We didn't!  Apparently they need a strap as well.  Back to the drawing board, but this time one of the engineers will drive to us which is a lot quicker than us going back by boat.


No comments: