Wednesday 2 September 2020

We nearly lost the lot! 1st September 2020

 Tuesday 1st September 2020

Prestwood Bridge 34 to Above Wolverley Lock

7 miles, 5 locks

It was another glorious morning - so still and calm


and yet more blue sky

So what did we lose - not our shirts I am glad to say - just the locks!  5 to do and no boats coming up until the last one, which meant filling the first four before we could enter to go down.  Suddenly there are a lot less boats around.  I guess it is because the schools go back this week.

What there is no shortage of are these

They have just come in wave after wave over the last few days.  I must add that 98% have been cycling at a sensible speed and said thank you when Monty and I step aside to let them past which I am more than happy to do unless I am trying to moor a boat - then I hope they take avoiding action!  

The second lock of the day (Hyde) is one of my favourites.  The house before the lock

and the lock cottage are both lovely looking residences.  It is a peaceful and very pretty lock.

Just below the lock someone has erected a duck picnic table!

There was a short wait at Kinver for a tap to be come available.  I know we filled up yesterday, but we are making the most of the weather and did 3 wash loads yesterday and 2 today.  Whilst we were there a policeman appeared - he was asking boaters if they were here on Friday/Saturday and if so had they seen anything untoward as there were a number of thefts from boats.  We weren't, but the other boat on the water point had been moored a bit further along and had met at least one of the boaters who had been affected.  I believe his generator, jeans and shirt were taken.

Whilst we were busy a canoeist quietly glided past

I went to dispose of the little bit of waste we had, but brought our bottle back on board.  No point in adding to this disgusting pile that some poor souls will have to clear up one day.

Just as we were about to push off again, as is often inevitable, a boat overtook us, so they had the advantage of the boat coming up the next lock (Kinver) leaving it ready for them.

We went past The Vine at opening time - it was good to see they had a few early birds

As we passed the many park homes at Austcliffe on our way north I noted that one seemed to be having quite a bit of work done - this was taken on 12th August 

and this is how things are today - almost complete I would think.


When we arrived at our final lock of the day this boat was working its way up.  The people you can see on the bridge at the end had popped down to open and shut the offside gate.  As they seemed to be staying put for a bit more gongoozling I went and asked if they would like a bit more exercise!  I am delighted to sat that father and daughter obliged.  Always a great help when there is no accessible bridge at the down end of a lock.

Just round the corner from that lock our noses became aware that there was smoke in the air.  Soon it was visible - was somewhere on fire?


No - just a very smoky and smelly bonfire

As we arrived at our destination for the day there was one boat already moored up above the lock.  We pulled in and moored up and I took advantage of the sun that was left to hang the towels out.

No sooner had I completed my task than the boat ahead of us untied and left!  It is just visible behind out boat in this picture.

and there they go.

We did succumb (as Pip would say) to a cold medication each (vanilla flavour for Chris and salted caramel for me!) from the tea room and I got a couple more steaks for the freezer.




2 comments:

Pip and Mick said...

Glad to hear of you partaking of chilled medication. We're nowhere near establishments that offer such wonders sadly. May have to make s concerted effort to find some soon.

Jennie said...

Well if you are ever down the S&W I can recommend the tea shop ice cream. Good luck with your search, Pip.