Sunday 1 July 2018

Freedom of St Ives - 30th June 2018

Saturday 30th June 2018
St Ives

We certainly chose the right weekend to come back to St Ives as there was something rather special going on to coincide with Armed Forces Day nationwide


We had seen the signs on previous visits, but put it out of our minds as we did not expect to be back again so soon.  The weather was possibly a little too perfect for so many on parade in thick uniforms

There were cadets as well as regular army personel

The crowds were dense, so getting close to the action was impossible.  I was pleased to see that they had all been taught the art of wriggling their feet discretely during the ceremony and that there were vigilant NCO's bearing water to be delivered to anyone in need.

The 'great and the good' were there, several bearing mayoral chains, but thankfully no robes.



There were 120 members of the regiment to be honoured along with the RAF Wyton Band, Veterans, The Royal British Legion and 60 Cadets.

By the time the ceremony was over and the parade moved off I had made my way to the end where I had a much better view as the RAF Wyton Band led parade on their quite large circuit of the town.






The bulled shoes gleamed in the sunlight - I picked a pair at random to zoom in on, but, sadly, I think someone must have trodden on his foot!  I remember well the joys (or not) of bulling shoes!!

 The Royal British Legion brought up the rear of what was quite a lengthy parade

We wondered if this was the Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire, but on searching google, he must be from elsewhere (or a deputy, or something completely different) as the Lord Lieutenant appears to be a lady. Whatever he is, I bet he was hot.

Back to the boat and just look at that blue sky

By this time it was too hot to leave Monty on the boat, so Chris stayed with him with the fan on in an attempt to keep cool, whilst I plodded the mile to Waitrose, re-stocked and dragged a full trolley the mile back again.  

Chris had filled the water tank and we had a stowaway sitting on our stern button busily preening himself without a care in the world 

I have discovered the secret of how to ensure a mother moorhen and four tiny chicks stay hidden in the reeds - get the camera out!!

Early evening we had a passing boat - a wedding cruise we surmised
 They certainly had a perfect day for it.

As for dinner - well it was too hot to barbecue!  We just had a seafood salad and crusty bread.  This is certainly getting close to 1976, but at least I am not 8.5 months pregnant this time!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing,i to attended as my son belongs to the 42 Royal Engineers Geotechs.
Proud day.
Regards Gary.

Swanny said...

Hello. Yes it was hot on parade. The Gentleman standing in for the Lord Lieutenant is Colonel (Retd) Roger Herriot DL. He is a Deputy Lord Lieutenant and former Commandant Cambridgeshire Army Cadet Force. I am the Officer wearing a green beret in one of the shots; and I am the Officer Commanding the cadets on parade. Thankyou for your positive comments.

Jennie said...

Thank you Gary and Swanny for your replies. I can understand your pride in watching your son on parade Gary. Your cadets acquitted themselves very well, Swanny, especially considering the heat. Thank you for the information about Colonel Roger Herriot - it is always good to know who people are and I am afraid my google search failed me. There is not much like a good parade whether you are part of it or a spectator. We both enjoyed the day very much indeed.