Thursday 26 June 2014

To Peterborough


22nd June 2014
To Peterborough
4 miles, 1 lock

When I went out this morning I discovered why there is a floating pontoon in the middle of the lake – to prevent anyone nicking the trip boat overnight!  There is a small rowing boat to gain access.

Just a quick dirty dart to Peterborough as planned, so we were there in time to collect the hire car booked to take us home at midday.  We saw activity of a different kind

Indications all along the river bank that there are often many fishermen, but not many seen in action today

Then past Peterborough Yacht Club, where they make visitors welcome
Where there are many moored boats along with a wide variety of huts/chalets

Through Orton lock where there are moorings to be found below the lock.

Past the Sculpture Park where this Viking Shipwreck (?) could be seen

And then round the corner came nb Chatsworth who had breasted up with us at Islip on 8th June.  I wonder how far they got with their explorations of these waterways?

Onto the outskirts of Peterborough
.

Past the 'Asda Gate'

and lots of moorings

The marooned boat

 Past what may well be the only view of Peterborough Cathedral we get as we left as soon as we got the car.



 We had a good run home and packed a lot into our 44 hours away from the boat – a meal with our daughter and family on Sunday, a trip to a store to collect a pre-ordered new waterproof for me (I had ripped my old one on a narrow lock whilst doing the Northampton flight), other bits of shopping, the grass was cut, lots of admin type stuff and the post were sorted, two appointments kept and even an anniversary dinner out on the Monday night. Finally a big Tesco delivery before we packed it all into the hire car and headed back to Peterborough via Bedford Marina – I followed Chris in my car so we have transport when we get to Bedford in July. The one thing I discovered as we left on Sunday was that my camera was missing and I had no idea where or when I had lost it, except I had it up to the outskirts of Peterborough, but not when we moored.  Now just how big is a narrowboat that a camera can hide?  I had to return home without it – would it ever be found?  To be continued…….









No comments: