Wednesday 27 March 2013

Snowdrifts!


We headed out to do one of our CRT patrols this morning between the tunnels.  We were fully kitted as it was bitterly cold. We knew there was snow on the ground, but we were not expecting the drifts we came across!  There was a good 100 yards of really deep snow, then a gap, then some more - they were hard going.  Monty thought it was great fun.  Thankfully someone had been along before us, so we had foot holes to follow.  We both made it safely on the outward leg, but I came a cropper on the way back and ended up flat on my back in deep snow with my feet perilously close to the canal!   Getting back on my feet presented me with somewhat of a challenge.  When wearing a double layer fleece, a waterproof and a life jacket I did not stand much chance of achieving it with any degree of elegance!  It took me a while, but I did eventually make it back to a vertical position without falling in the canal. There were times that I really thought I was in for a dunking!  Just as I was saying - "at least there is no one around to witness my antics" a boat came steaming round the corner.  Thankfully I was pretty much back on my feet by then.  I am also delighted to say that there is no photographic evidence!











No comments: